Followers

Tuesday 14 May 2013

'The Owl and the Pussycat...

...went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat'

Who remembers that fabulously daft poem by Edward Lear????  I was fascinated by it as a child.  I have used the 1st two lines as inspiration for my Tando Creative boat makeover for The Craft Barn Blog this week.


Looking at the owl I can see that I really should have made the little guy a lot paler.  But its done now so never mind eh...just squint and he won't seem so bold hahaha!!!  I was surprised at how big this boat is.  At around 7inches high it offers so much scope and the little oars are so cute...you can see them tucked behind the cat.

I couldn't go away without reminding you of the poem :D

The Owl and the Pussycat

The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
Wrapped up in a five pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
"O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are, you are, you are,
What a beautiful Pussy you are."
Pussy said to the Owl "You elegant fowl,
How charmingly sweet you sing.
O let us be married, too long we have tarried;
But what shall we do for a ring?"
They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the Bong-tree grows,
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood
With a ring at the end of his nose, his nose, his nose,
With a ring at the end of his nose.
"Dear Pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling your ring?"
Said the Piggy, "I will"
So they took it away, and were married next day
By the Turkey who lives on the hill.
They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon.
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand.
They danced by the light of the moon, the moon, the moon,

10 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

That is so pretty - as a child I learnt that poem off by heart.
Julie xxxxxxx

Dawn said...

Ooh this is gorgeous my lovely, what a fab paint colour to play with. Ha ha ha, fond memories of you reciting this to me when I was little sweetie.
Huge huggles x x x x

Julia S-W said...

(Bet Dawn's just made you feel ancient saying that lol!!). Love the colours and the cat in particular Karen. Great idea to use 'The Owl and the Pussycat' too.
Hope your week has started well.
Juliaxxx

Unknown said...

Hi Karen, love this project!! How cute is that little boat! Hugs Frea

Traceyr said...

tee hee great poem and the boat is wonderful Karen. Don't knock your owl he is very cute. :)

BJ said...

Oh I love this Karen, what a great way to use the boat. BJ

Carol Plume said...

what a great piece Karen - love all those elements - that poem certainly conjours up all sorts of memories xx

LindaS said...

ROFL SUCH A SWEAT POEM PERFECT FOR THE LOVELY BOOT. SO WHIMSYCAL.

Unknown said...

Hi Karen, thanks for visiting my blog and for you lovely comment on my knight pages. About your question on how to print on tissuepaper; I simply print out the image I want on a regular A4 page. Then I take a piece of tissuepaper to cover the print and tape it down on all four sides. I run it through the computer again, and there you have it. Sometimes it tends to stick slightly to the printerpaper, but it's easy to peel off without tearing it. Hope this helps. Hugs Frea

Sandy said...

Karen this is fabulous - really grand and I too remember The Owl and the Pussy Cat. What a wonderful project and great poem!!
sandy